Premium Inca Trail Itinerary
1Day 1: Cusco – Km 82 – Wayllabamba (L, D)
Our exciting adventure for today will start early in the morning from your Cusco hotel. After having your first early breakfast there (or you may require them a box breakfast and you can have it along the way), our expert guide will welcome you and escort you in our private transportation to Km 82, which is the trekking start point. After a 2 hours trip and before arriving Km 82 we will make a short stop at Ollantaytambo town (2792 mts/9160.1 ft) a picturesque Village with narrow cobbled streets that has been inhabited continuously since the 13th century and is located in the Sacred Valley of the Incas; once here, we will appreciate the beautiful landscape and learn about its population and surroundings, also to get supplies that you need at the last moment or use the restrooms. Following the program, we will drive for another 40 mins. and reach Km 82 or Piscacucho (2675 mts/8776.3 ft), here our porters and support staff along with all the camping equipment, will prepare all the final details and make sure that everything is ready to deliver a memorable experience for us.
Afterward, we will officially start our adventure following the same ancient steps of the Incas. If you require it in advance, we will provide you with a pair of standard walking sticks to support you during the hike, with the help of your guide you will learn the correct technique to use them making sure your knees are well cared. Once we are ready to go, we will start our amazing hike passing through various archaeological sites and seeing lavish vegetation and fauna, learning about them and taking stunning photos on the process. After a 4 hours hike we will arrive to Tarayoc site (2675 mts/8776.3 ft) and placidly have our sumptuous lunch and recover energies.
We will continue a 2 hours hike towards the village of Wayllabamba (2970 mts/9744.1 ft) where our luxury campsite will be waiting for us. Before dinner, you will have the opportunity to have a well-earned hot shower and then, our massage tent is ready for a session of relaxing massages that will ease your body and mind; our professional therapists use organic essential oils to help you relax and loosen your muscles. Then, it is time to visit our dining tent for a fantastic gourmet dinner prepared with organic food from the region by some of our best chefs and served by a special waiter for your personalized attention. Meanwhile, your bedroom tent will be waiting for you to enjoy a comfortable evening surrounded by nature and mountains.
- Trek starting time: 09:30 am
- Arrival to the campsite: 16:30 pm
- Minimum altitude: Km 82 – 2675 masl/ 8776.3 ft.
- Maximum altitude: Wayllabamba campsite – 2970 masl/9744.1 ft.
- Distance covered: 11 kms/6.8 mls (6 hours walking approx.)
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Meals included: Snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
- The walking sticks are not included, but if you prefer we can arrange to provide you a pair of basic poles (Standard Brand) without any charges; you just need to ask in advance to your travel specialist.
- In order to provide you superb personalized attention, it is vital that you send us your rooming list distribution in advance.
2Day 2: Yuncachimpa – Warmihuañusca Pass – Pacaymayu (B, L, D)
After our early and hearty breakfast, we will initiate our 1.5 hours hike towards the Ravine of Ayapata (3328 mts/10918.7 ft), as we climb over the ravine and suddenly we will be walking in the middle of a forest with a stream of crystalline waters aside the road, following another 3 hours and resting periodically in different places, so you can catch your breath and reach our lunch and resting place called Llulluchapampa (3760 mts/12335.9). Here we will have our exquisite picnic lunch appreciating spectacular views, especially of the vegetation and the humid Andean forest which covers the majority of our hike; from here we will catch a glimpse of Warmiwañusca Pass (mostly known as Death Woman’s Pass for its appearance of woman lying on her side).
Once is time, we will keep walking up for another 2.5 hours in order to reach the top of the Warmiwañusca Pass located at 4215 mts/13828.7 ft., the ascent is made of a set of cobbled steps which were disposed to protect the mountains from erosion. In the process, you can walk at your own pace stopping whenever you prefer as this last stretch will be a bit difficult but will definitely worth it. Upon our arrival, we will appreciate the magnificent traveled path and on the other side the Pacaymayo ravine, with the help of your guide you will be able to take some heroic photos as you had accomplished the highest point of our escapade.
Following the route, we will begin the descent to Pacaymayo Ravine for 2 hours more and arrive to Pacaymayo campsite (3500 mts/11482.9 ft) at last. For a second time, our hot shower and massage tent will be at your disposal, when it is time for our dinner you can share your fantastic photos with your guide and then relish in your bedroom tent for a restful and soundly sleep.
- Wake-up time: 05:30 am
- Trek starting time: 07:00 am
- Arrival to campsite: 17:00 pm
- Minimum altitude: Ayapata site – 3328 masl/ 10918.7 ft.
- Maximum altitude: Warmiwañusca Pass – 4215 masl/13828.7 ft.
- Distance covered: 9 kms/5.6 mls (9 hours walking approx.)
- Difficulty: Challenging.
- Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
3Day 3: Chaquicocha – Phuyupatamarca (B, L, D)
Then, we will take a hot shower, a boost of energy with our hearty breakfast and be ready for the 1-hour hike through the paved and well-maintained slope to the ruins of Runkurakay, an ancestral Inca structure with a circular shape and just at the edge of the mountain where we will have a short explanation. Following for another hour approx. we reach the Second Pass called Runkurakay as well (3955 mts/12975.7 ft) Being a wide platform of exceptional views, from here, most of the Inca trail is seen downhill; this will definitely be an impressive sight.
Along our 1 hour gradual descent, we will feel how the wind meander in the hillside while we will find a long seaweed-covered lake and have the opportunity to take some beautiful photos. Then, the road will become narrow and zigzag-shaped until we reach our next stop which is the impressive Inca Town of Sayacmarca (3585 mts/11761.8 ft) After having our informative explanation from our guide, we will continue descending for another hour to Chaquicocha (3535 mts/11597.8 ft) to find our well-organized staff waiting with our gourmet lunch. After finishing the luscious lunch, we will move ahead for 2.5 hours through the incredibly well-preserved path to Phuyupatamarca Pass (3640 mts/11942.3 ft), we will traverse a small tunnel made of stone and witness the overwhelming views of the surrounding valleys and mountains; just a few meters above is our next official campsite called Phuyupatamarca as well (3670 mts/12040.7 ft)
Upon our arrival and for the last time in this opportunity, our highly-skilled staff will be providing the best services along the Inca Trail. Our suggestion for this afternoon is to have a hot shower before your already-known relaxing massage and then, move on the fabulous gourmet dinner served in our dining tent. Being this the last night with all of our crew, we recommend you to share a final toast with them, for bringing all of the outstanding quality services throughout this exciting experience. Cheers! or, as we say here Salud!
- Wake-up time: 05:00 am
- Trek starting time: 08:00 am
- Arrival to campsite: 16:30 pm
- Minimum altitude: Chaquicocha site – 3535 masl/ 11597.8 ft.
- Maximum altitude: Runkurakay Pass – 3955 masl/12975.7 ft.
- Distance covered: 9 kms/5.6 mls (5.5 hours walking approx.)
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
4Day 4: Wiñayhuayna – Machu Picchu –Cusco (B, L)
We hope that you had enjoyed all the gorgeous hike so far, and this day will require the final effort of waking up very early to have the succulent breakfast at 04:30 am approx. and follow the final portion of the hike. After a 3 hours hike we will arrive to Wiñaywayna archaeological site (2650 mts/8694.2 ft) which is named for the beautiful orchid that abounds in the area and that means “Forever young”, we will keep on through steep stairs for about 1.5 hours to reach the Sun’s Gate or Intipunku (2750 mts/9022.3 ft) from here we will see why the hike is worth it as we will be rewarded with astonishing views of Machu Picchu and the surrounding valley as the sun is rising, you will be able to appreciate every detail of this recondite place. Following this dreamy spectacle, we will initiate the hike down to Machu Picchu for another hour.
Finally, we will reach the icing on the cake for this trip, Machu Picchu (2430 mts/7972.4 ft) In this ultimate destination, our well-informed guide will provide a complete tour explaining about the magnificent history behind this World Wonder, accompanied by your guide reveal all its enigmas, secrets and theories about its unique construction and environment. Once you have solved all of your doubts and take all the perfect photos you will have some time to explore the site at your own leisure. When you have already accomplished your tour, a delightful buffet lunch at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge hotel is included with our unprecedented program. Then, you will take the bus down to aguas calientes train station, for the return train service where you can share your fascinating experiences and impressions with other travelers before departing to Aguas Calientes town in a 30 mins ride.
Lastly we will board the Vistadome Train back to Cusco, where you can enjoy the wonderful route accompanied by Alpaca fashion show and a light snack. After your arrival, you will be transferred back by our View Peru representative in our private vehicle for a 40 mins ride towards your Cusco hotel.
- Wake-up time: 04:00 am
- Trek starting time: 05:30 am
- Arrival to Machu Picchu citadel: 11:30 am
- Arrival to Cusco: 21:56 pm
- Minimum altitude: Machu Picchu citadel – 2430 masl/ 7972.4 ft.
- Maximum altitude: Intipunku site – 2750 masl/9022.3 ft.
- Distance covered: 8 kms/4.9 mls (5.5 hours walking approx.)
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch.
- Train stations and train schedules are subject to availability, also due to rainy season, Poroy train station is closed from January to April of each year.
- If you would like to have another short hike to experience Machu Picchu from a different perspective, for instance, you can choose to hike Huayna Picchu Mountain for a great panoramic view and uncover different archaeological sites or climb Machu Picchu Mountain to enjoy this ancient wonder from the highest vantage point in almost complete solitude. Please take in mind that these hikes are unguided, require an additional cost and involve starting the hike at 03:00 am on the 4th day. If you are interested, please consult with your travel specialist as we need to check availability far in advance.
Optionally you can stay in aguas calientes one night at an extra cost and explore machu picchu for a second time the next day. Pleae ask for more deatils.